Thursday, October 05, 2006

Mr. Walker Update

As I'm sure you've heard, I've been out sick for a couple of days, and I'm still on the mend; I estimate I'm only at 70%. And I was out one day last week when my elder son was sick. My younger son got sick over the weekend, and then I finally succumbed to it. The students have weathered this inconsistency well, and it's really just been a couple of bumps in the road.

However, I am a little behind in getting things graded, but I'm working quickly to get caught up. I took many things home with me yesterday, and did finish quite a bit of grading. So please be patient with me as I get caught up.

Today, I passed back the Earthquake Terror reading test. Most students did relatively well or are where I'd expect them to be at the beginning of fifth grade.

I have finished grading their Earthquake Terror vocabulary test, and they'll probably get that back tomorrow. I want to give them further feedback on the sentences they're writing on the vocabulary tests.

I have also graded the Chapter 4 math test, and I will be giving many students the Chapter 5 pre-test tomorrow. I have not passed this back yet as I have to prepare some Reteach Requests for a handful of students who did not do so well on this test.

All of the fifth-grade students took their first science test on Wednesday, and I am almost halfway through grading those tests. Expect to get those back early next week, probably Monday.

Also, I have begun the Success Board in the classroom. Each student has prepared an index card with his or her name. They are to select some schoolwork (test, homework, classwork) that they feel they have been successful at, give it to me, and then I display it under their index card on the bulletin board. I ask the students to always have something on display. I understand that many parents want to see the results of tests, and I encourage and support you in that. I am always telling the students that it's okay to take a test home to show you first, and then bring it back in to class to display on the Success Board.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home