Friday, October 06, 2006

Newsletter - Issue 5

Homework Policy

I routinely assign homework five times a week. The homework I assign reinforces what I am teaching, and gives the students an opportunity to practice what they are learning in the classroom. Students should be able to complete their homework independently. Of course, it is always helpful if you check your child's homework to support and encourage their good work and study habits.

The Student and Parent/Guardian Handbook states that homework should not exceed “30 minutes per day at grades 4 – 5.” I try to keep the amount of homework reasonable and a good use of student time. Students should also regularly set aside time to study and review what they are learning.

I thoroughly explain all homework assignments. Students are responsible for asking me questions about the homework before they leave school. They must pay attention in class and understand how to do the assignment once they get home.

Audubon Canyon Ranch

Thank you to the families that have made donations to our fund raiser. Unfortunately, we have run out of time to raise money for our field trip to Audubon Canyon Ranch on Wednesday, October 18, 2006.

Ms Arios and I are asking each family to donate $5 to offset the cost of this extended day field trip that requires us to rent a bus.

We will reschedule our fundraiser and put those proceeds towards the fifth-grade promotion ceremony and field trip.

Parent-Teacher Conferences

This is just to remind you that Parent-Teacher Conferences are scheduled for Monday, October 30 through Friday, November 3, 2006. I will be sending a form home in the Wednesday envelope for October 18, 2006. I schedule appointments on a first-come, first-served basis, so make sure your child returns the form to me promptly. I have a very tight schedule to fit in 35 conferences, but I will do my best to give you one of your three choices.

Student and Parent/Guardian Handbook

In a recent Wednesday envelope, you received the Student and Parent/Guardian Handbook for this year. Please return page i (Parent/Guardian/Caregiver Agreement Form) and page v and vi (Acceptable Use Agreement). Please take some time to familiarize yourself with the information included, notably the Student Bill of Rights and Responsibilities on pages 53 to 55.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home